Western medicine has made huge strides in treating infertility using the costly procedure called IVF. But many women diagnosed with advanced maternal age, poor egg quality, and diminished ovarian reserve are not the best candidates for IVF and are recommended to use the eggs of a younger women. This is called donor egg IVF.
Understandably, many women are not prepared to use the eggs of a younger women in place of their own eggs, for several reasons such as financial, social, religious, emotional and other personal reasons. Instead, they turn to us -- those in Chinese medicine -- for hope and the chance of still conceiving with their own eggs.
Chinese Medicine Offers a Natural Approach to Optimizing Fertility
Many acupuncturists have built very busy practices and so can you by learning how to treat women with low ovarian reserve and poor egg quality issues who are not interested in using donor eggs.
Below, we provide several resources to help you work confidently with this growing patient population and discuss how acupuncture & TCM can help common issues faced by women of advanced maternal age and repeated IVF failure:
Decreased Ovarian Reserve
As women age, the number of available healthy viable eggs decreases. In the past, it was assumed that women with declining ovarian function could not get pregnant or should consider donor eggs. In fact, there are reversible factors other than aging implicated in premature fertility decline as well as strategies that can be used to improve ovarian function in women with advanced maternal age.
- Recommended online course: Optimizing Ovarian Reserve, Brandon Horn (10 hours CEU/PDA approved)
- Recommended viewing (Free): Ovarian Reserve Testing through the lens of TCM - Randine Lewis (Medigogy)
- Recommended viewing (Free): How Embryo Quality can Determine Implantation Rates by embryologist Dr. Christine Briton-Jones PhD HCLD (Medigogy)
- Recommended viewing (Free): Reproductive Age - Share Your Hope - Randine Lewis (Medigogy)
Older women may need to reclaim their fertility by healing body, mind, and spirit through with Chinese medicine diet, nutritional supplementation, acupuncture, herbs, and exercises to better manage stress levels and heal and strengthen their bodies and reproductive system.
- Recommended online course: The Fertile Soul: Reproductive Training Seminar (15 hours CEU/PDA approved) with Randine Lewis, author of Infertility Cure and The Way of the Fertile Soul
- Recommended online course: Treating Infertility with the Eight Extraordinary Vessels (14 hours CEU/PDA approved) by Yvonne Farrell and Laura Erlich
- Recommended viewing (Free): Wu Wei - When to Act and When Not to Act - Randine Lewis (Medigogy)
Many older women struggling with infertility are poor responders to IVF treatment and will pursue numerous rounds of IVF, an emotionally and physically draining process. The Paulus Protocol demonstrates how acupuncture benefits women undergoing in vitro fertilization treatment. The study compared women undergoing IVF with and without pre/post transfer acupuncture, and thereby brought acupuncture into mainstream fertility clinics.
- Recommended online course: Acupuncture strategies to dramatically improve IVF success by Brandon Horn
- Recommended online course Acupuncture and Herbal Treatments with IVF (8 hours CEU/PDA approved) by Richard Blitstein
- Recommended viewing (Free): How acupuncture increases the success rate of IVF - Interview with Dr. Paul Magarelli MD (IVF doctor)
- Paulus IVF acupuncture protocol explained through the the perspective of the extraordinary meridians - click here to watch free 17 min video
These courses are all approved by: Australia, ABORM, Alberta, California, CTCMA, Florida, Illinois, NCCAOM, New Zealand (NZRA) and Texas and count for CEU/PDA/CPD credits.
For more information on this or any of the other recorded and live courses on ProD relating to infertility, pregnancy, child bearing and more, visit www.prodseminars.net.
For free recorded courses on fertility, visit www.medigogy.com.
Watch video out-takes from past filmings on our YouTube channel.