This course will be presented live at the Integrative Fertility Symposium in Vancouver, Canada.
While giving specific counselling on vaccination is out of scope for most acupuncturists, every patient seen in clinic and every acupuncturist personally is affected by this practice. Acupuncturists will need to confront their patients' and their own beliefs and knowledge base about this issue, and so professionals should endeavor to be informed about this important and complex medical intervention. Acupuncturists will be regularly asked about their position on vaccination, but receive no consistent, formal training on this as part of their accredited curriculum. This talk presents a thorough exploration of complex issues surrounding vaccination. Dr. Miller will spotlight these vaccines: pneumococcus, varicella, smallpox, Gardasil/HPV, Hepatitis B, polio, HIB, rotavirus, MMR, and pertussis. He will address both the positive potential of vaccination, as well as conflicts of interest in vaccine sales and study, adjuvants, how vaccine schedules have changed and the rise in chronic disease. Since you will see both kids vaccinated and not vaccinated, He will provide TCM treatment approaches to support the health both population of kids.
Goals and Objectives
1. Have ideas about how to support kids with TCM who are both vaccinated and unvaccinated
2. Develop a more sophisticated understanding of the history and complexity surrounding vaccination.
3. Understand myths and realities encountered from both the pro- and anti- vaccine lobbies.
4. Have a clear understanding of how vaccine targeted diseases differ, and hence how vaccines should be considered individually rather than as a uniform category.
5. Be able to identify the real limitations in the study, production, and distribution of vaccines, and how this medical intervention should be evaluated on the 'best available evidence' in multiple domains.
6. Be able to better advocate for good vaccine policy.