Last week (May 7-12 2013) I attended the six-day TCM Kongress in Rothenberg, Germany, attended by 1,200 acupuncture/TCM/MD delegates and 110 speakers from 15 countries. If there was ever an acupuncturist's bucket list, the TCM Kongress in Rothenburg should be on it!
It was a positive, informative, and fun experience, and well worth the time and money to travel there. The organizers: Gerd, Christian and Nils were very organized and went out of their way to make us feel welcomed and special. Covering a vast array of topics including infertility, oncology, shen, depression and dermatology, the Kongress was as much about learning as it was about exchanging ideas, and as useful to beginners as was to experts.
Seven "aha!" moments
... many of which happened at lunches, dinners and parties
1. Chinese Medicine works! Arya Nielson gave an inspirational talk on Gua Sha and provided impressive research to support how Gua Shaw stimulates the immune system, helps patients with hepatitis and reduces inflammation.
2. TCM can impact egg quality. This came from four reproductive endocrinologists who attended the Infertility meeting on ovarian insufficiency.
3. Gut bacteria may be involved in diabetes and treating with probiotics maybe a possible treatment. Thanks for sharing Yvonne from Sweden during our train ride.
4. MDs trained in TCM who attended the Kongress prefer using herbs over drugs. I learned this at dinner on Friday night before the party when I was seated with several MDs who also practice TCM.
5. Did I mention Chinese medicine works! There were some impressive research presentations by Sarah Budd (acupuncture in pregnancy), Yair Maimon (Oncology acupuncture and Chinese herbs), Simon Becker (dermatology), Hugh Macpherson, and Barbara Kirschbaum (acupuncture and herbs for breast cancer). It was inspiring to learn that there is research being done by trained TCM practitioners.
6. Being told to go to hell is actually a good thing. In Rothenburg, it's the name of a bar where many from the Kongress meet after classes to talk TCM. I went to Hell almost every night. I developed new friendships at the Kongress which has me planning to go back for 2014.
One of my favourite parts of the conference was the new friendships I made, plus reconnecting with old friends too. Without attending the Kongress I would not have made so many great friends from the UK, Germany, Switzerland, Australia, Sweden, New Zealand, Ireland, and Spain to name a few. Now I have places to stay when I travel!
Teaches and practices classic formulas from the Shang Han Lun tradition in Nan Jing, China. Read more>
Choose any of these recorded online courses:
|Author of The Essential Guide to Acupuncture in Pregnancy & Childbirth.
Active practitioner and faculty member at the Pacific College of Oriental Medicine in Chicago.
|Former midwifery Sister, trained acupuncturist and teacher in London and China.
|Founding Professor of the School of Classical Chinese Medicine at National College of Natural Medicine in Portland, Oregon. Read more>
Upcoming Live Webinars - choose any: Each course is 4 CEU/PDA/CPD)
June 16th: The Common Cold: The Most Difficult Disease to Treat
June 29th: Addressing the Root of all Disease: Secrets for Treating Digestive Disorders
Recorded online courses - choose any:
- Gu Syndrome: Unique Strategies for the Treatment of Pain with Chinese Medicine
- Mystery Syndromes Explaining and Treating Autoimmune Disorders with Chinese Medicine
- Women’s Health: Supporting Fertility and Endocrine Function with Chinese Herbs
Heiner has 16 other recorded courses available. See all of Heiner's courses.