This comprehensive presentation covers everything from the biomedical dynamics of Breast Cancer initiation and development to the Chinese Medicine treatments that can be enormously beneficial during and after medical treatment. It is designed to be comprehensible and beneficial to those with any level of knowledge of Breast Cancer. It is appropriate and valuable to those in any and all of the various traditions in Asian medicine (all styles of Acupuncture, with or without herbal training). The focus is to provide clarity to the topics that have the most practical relevance in providing care.
Amy has specialized in treating patients with Breast Cancer since 2002. She is considered an expert in this field, and is a frequently requested lecturer at nationwide Breast Cancer events. In this course she has put together the full spectrum of the things you need to know to professionally work with Cancer patients. The focus of the information is specific to Breast Cancer, but much of it applies to other areas within Oncology.
Goals & Objectives
Upon completion of this course, the student will be better able to:
1) Introduction of all topics and flow of course; Legal, Ethics, Malpractice Considerations; What OM can do; Communication; Integration; Biomedical Mechanisms; Types; What Cancer patients experience.
2) Timing of them coming in; Most frequent complaints; diagnosis; biopsy; Lymph nodes; Margins; Size; Grading; Pathology; Staging; Metastasis; Treatment: Surgery, Reconstruction
4) Radiation; Hair Loss; High Risk populations and Genetics; Research
5) Integrating OM with Oncology; Referral; Information Gathering, including Denial; Treating; What Not to Do
6) Main OM Patterns, Methods to Treat (Acupuncture, Herbs, Diet and Supplements): Anxiety, Issues Prior to Surgery, Issues Post Surgery, Surgical Pain; Scars; During Chemotherapy
7) Oncotype; Methods to Treat (Acupuncture, Herbs, Diet and Supplements): During Radiation; Hair Growing in; Fatigue; Disturbed Sleep; Neuropathy; Low Appetite; Hot Flashes; Weight Gain
8) "Long Term", After all treatment is concluded: Bone, Estrogen, Cruciferous Family, Inflammation, Anti Proliferative herbs, Family Dynamics, End of Life, Hospice