A joint workshop with Debra Betts, Claudia Citkovitz, and Sarah Budd exploring acupuncture treatment for birth preparation, medical induction, miscarriage and stillbirth and breech. This session will use clinical sketches to facilitate small group discussions about specific areas of clinical practice. Following an introduction on the topic by Claudia and Debra, participants will be divided into small groups and given different scenarios to devise treatment plans for. These scenarios will illustrate the realities of clinical practice, red flags that require special attention, and Chinese medicine considerations for clinical practice. After groups have discussed the case and come up with treatment plans, Debra and Claudia will lead a feedback session, adding suggestions and illustrating what they see as essential safety considerations when treating difficult and high-risk cases:
· Birth preparation. What separates birth preparation from induction of labour and examining how individual constitutional treatment impacts on labour.
· Medical induction. Working with women when a medical induction is necessary: including vaginal birth after caesarean section (VBAC), Gestational diabetes, Premature rupture of membranes (PROM) and polyhydramnios.
· Dealing with adverse outcomes including miscarriage, foetal demise and stillbirth.
· Breech. Examining the impacts of dosage for moxibustion on BL 67, additional treatment s to the use of BL 67 and dealing with the women who present with complications such as twin pregnancies.
Goals and Objectives
At the end of the course participants will know the following:
1. improve their labor preparation treatment planning based on TCM pattern differentiation as well as medical complications and risk factors
2. learn approaches for working with adverse outcomes such as miscarriage, fetal demise and stillbirth
3. deepen their understanding of UB67 moxa in breech, including issues of dosage as well as twins and other complications