A seminar looking at the conditions in pregnancy which acupuncturists need to be aware of. There are many conditions in pregnancy which acupuncture can help, but some conditions can be dangerous for mother and baby, and it is important to be aware of these. The seminar is aimed at practitioners who are interested in, or already involved with, treating women in pregnancy. It assumes existing knowledge of the treatment with acupuncture of common complaints of pregnancy such as sickness and backache, taught at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. We will go a step further, looking at normal pregnancy in more detail and discussing the more serious obstetric complications such as severe pre-eclampsia, so that practitioners are familiar with these should a patient present with them. We will be looking at emergency situations which could be encountered when attending a labour as an acupuncturist. Case histories will be used to bring the conditions to life. Recognizing when to refer back to midwifery or medical staff can be crucial - even life-saving in some cases.
- Delegates will learn how to identify the main obstetric complications which could present in their acupuncture clinic.
- To recognize the importance of referring on to, or back to midwifery or medical staff.
- To understand the TCM aspects of some of these "red flag conditions".
- To look at TCM acupuncture treatment of these conditions that may be used if appropriate.
- It is hoped that delegates will feel more confident about treating pregnant women and more comfortable about going in to birthing units after the seminar.
Many of you may be familiar with Sarah Budd from the chapter she wrote in Giovanni Maciocia's text book, Obstetrics & Gynecology in Chinese Medicine, on Midwifery in Acupuncture.
View a Short Clip from this Course: