This course has been replaced by Debra Betts updated (more info, new info) course
It contains more CEU / PDA/ CPD and contains all the info from her previous course plus updated info and new information. Click here for more details
Module 1 (2 CEU/PDA) Forbidden Foods, Forbidden Points & Women in the History of Obstetrics
- Introduction to using acupuncture in pregnancy.
- Safety of acupuncture during pregnancy with reference to clinical studies.
- Forbidden points - historical references, occurrence in western texts , relevance to today's practice.
- Acupuncture research - relevant studies in British and American medical journals that can be used to promote safe and effective obstetric acupuncture.
Module 2 (7 CEU/PDA) Acupuncture in Pregnancy & Childbirth
- Examining the effectiveness of acupuncture through research published in respected western medical journals
- Examining the safety of acupuncture including the incidence of miscarriage, still birth and premature labour in women receiving acupuncture when compared to control groups
- Using research to promote acupuncture in pregnancy and enhance your clinical practice
Acupuncture for selected conditions – western medical information and effective acupuncture clinical treatments for conditions frequently seen in clinical practice
- Nausea during pregnancy
- Miscarriage (threatened, inevitable, missed)
- Musculoskeletal conditions (rib pain , lower back pain, pain of the symphysis pubis, neck pain)
- Pregnancy induced hypertension
- Breech and posterior positions
- Anxiety and depression
- Pregnancy heat rashes
- Heart burn
- Vulval varicosities and haemorrhoids
Module 3 (3 CEU/PDA) Prebirth Acupuncture
Prebirth acupuncture - research and its relevance to clinical practice.
- A review of research into prebirth acupuncture
- An observational study of its use as part of normal midwifery practice for 169 women in New Zealand
- The potential for prebirth acupuncture to reduce medical intervention including induction and caesarean sections
- The reality of using prebirth acupuncture in clinical practice as an acupuncturist
- Research and evidence demonstrating the effectiveness of prebirth acupuncture